I don’t eat cereals very often but when I do I choose the ones with no sugar and no unhealthy fats or oils. Unfortunately there are not many options out there which are not packed with unnecessary ingredients, and if they are, they tend to cost an arm and a leg.
INGREDIENTS (serves 10 – ½ cup is typically a serving)
- 2.5 cups of rolled oats
- ½ cup of raisins, chopped (or any other unsweetened dried fruit)
- ½ cup of raw nuts, shopped
- ½ cup of dehydrated shredded coconut
¼ cup of raw seeds (pumpkin or sunflower seeds are great)
- 1 tsp coconut extra virgin oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon, to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp sugar in the raw (also called “panela” in some countries) *
- A pinch of salt, to taste *
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl together.
Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until golden. Stirring halfway.
4. Let the granola cool before storing. It can be stored in a glass jar for up to 1 month.
Why this is a smart choice for a snack or breakfast?
They are a clean souce of carbohydrates high in fiber, do not have trans fats, they are filling and also taste great! Add some unsweetened vegetable milk and you are ready to eat your homemade granola.